As far as beauty care goes, my face has always commanded the most attention. I suffered from terrible acne in my teenage years, which did not change as I graduated to my early twenties. In my late twenties my acne persisted, and with a face covered in acne scars, pockmarks and discolouration, I found myself at the receiving end of a lot of medication prescribed by cheeky dermatologists with perfect skin, a number of three step cleansing programs, as well as a last ditch desperate attempt at herbal medication. Even with changes in my diet, these only lasted for a time, and as soon as I stopped using them, the acne came back. Finally, I grew tired of these products, because they had chemicals and seemed to still be harsh on my skin; I was looking for something that had a more natural base and most importantly something that my skin would not create a dependency relationship with.
So, finally at the end of my tether, I was ecstatic when as part of creating the product base for Afrorage I stumbled across African black soap. I have never looked back and we love to sell it! African black soap or ABS is handmade from the ashes of cocoa pods, shea tree bark and plantain leaves and is mixed with various soothing and healing oils such as shea butter, palm oil and coconut oil, which creates its distinct aroma. The soap is dark brown and crumbly in texture and this African-born skin miracle has become a staple in many women and men’s cleansing routines. As a rule all Afrorage products are tested and tried before offered for sale, and my journey with the soap started albeit a little skeptically as I had always had to struggle with finding a product to work on my face. Now, a year later, my acne is held at bay, my scars are diminishing and my skin is smoother than it has ever been. The soap has been so amazing to my family’s daily skin and beauty routine that even Afrorage co-founder Naomi used it on my 5 month nephew’s rashes which cleared up in an instant. Here are a few more reasons why we love black soap:
- It’s suitable for all skin types. Whether you have combination skin, black soap is advised. If you have oily skin, regular use will help remove additional oils from the skin thus preventing the formation of pimples.
- It’s a super cleanser. The charcoal in the soap can help absorb body odors and bacteria, and has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that can deep clean pores; while its formula is gentle enough for makeup removal.
- It’s soothing and healing. If you suffer with rashes or skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, the ashes in black soap help reduce irritation and can even be used by people with sensitive skin. While the soap does not remove acne, since that is caused by the release of excessive oils within the skin rather than dirt buildup, it can reduce the appearance of acne scars, brown spots or discolorations.
- It’s a fountain of youth. Antioxidants in the soap help protect the skin from free radical damage. which help reduce the appearance of fine lines and skin discolorations that indicate the early signs of aging skin.
- It’s a great exfoliator. The ashes in the soap provide exfoliating properties which remove dead skin cells and help rejuvenate the skin
- It can be used for the hair, body and face! Talk about multipurpose right?
So, the search for my perfect beauty face and skin product has ended, but do remember all beauty products only work as well as you treat your body, so a great diet and lots of water always goe a long way. So stay healthy and get your African black soap from Afrorage today… we hope your hunt for a great beauty product ends as marvelous as ours did!
Sharon, Afrorage co-founder